Sunday, January 2, 2011

Sauteed chicken breast in brown butter sauce with pureed parsnips and potatoes

I followed, the best I could, Julia Child's recipe for supreme de volaille a brun (chicken breast sauteed in butter) in Mastering the Art of French Cooking.  The recipe calls for sauteeing the chicken breast in clarified butter without letting the butter brown, taking the chicken out, adding some more clarified butter and browning it, mixing in lemon juice and finely chopped parsley, and pouring it on top of the chicken.  Sounds simple, but takes some skill.  I struggled with it.  My chicken breasts were still raw in the middle after Child's suggested time of about 5 total minutes.  Next time I will use more heat, since the butter didn't come close to browning in those 5 minutes.  The dish ended up pretty good when I turned the heat up and cooked the chicken a couple of minutes more.

The pureed parsnip and potato idea came from Chez Panisse Vegetables.  I seasoned the puree with butter, milk, salt, black pepper, and nutmeg.  This was fantastic.  Adding parsnips is a great way to make mashed potatoes more interesting.  Next time I'll use ground Sarawak white pepper.  It's white for one thing, and less assertive for another, but still plenty flavorful.



No comments:

Post a Comment