Monday, January 24, 2011

Spaghettini with tomatoes and minced vegetables al crudo

One of my favorite recipes in Marcella Hazan's Essentials of Classic Italian Cooking is her tomato sauce with chopped vegetables that are not sauteed, but rather simply simmered along with the tomatoes.  The fresh aroma of carrots, celery, and onion is wonderful.

I was lazy today and decided to chop the veggies in a food processor.  The result was a mince much more fine than I'm accustomed to.   Bite for bite, this food processor version may be even tastier than the original.  I prefer the hand chopped version, however, because the larger chunks of vegetables seem to maintain a more fresh garden aroma.

I used these canned San Marzano tomatoes, which I think are much superior to fresh tomatoes, except during the summer from the Farmer's Market.  I seasoned the sauce with lots of olive oil, salt, dried oregano, a crushed red chili, and romano.


No comments:

Post a Comment